menu icon
Book your open day visit nowClick to book open day
Hospitality, Events, Aviation and Tourism Higher Doctorate

Hospitality, Events, Aviation and Tourism Higher Doctorate

Different course options

Study mode

Part time


1 year

Start date


Key information

Qualification type

Higher Doctorate

Subject areas

Aviation Hospitality / Catering (General) Tourism Meetings / Conferences / Events

Course type


Course Summary


A Higher Doctorate is awarded for published work of the highest quality. We ask candidates to submit a collection of their published work and a commentary that demonstrates its impact on the subject. Your application should be supported by a professor from the University of Sunderland.

There is a high level of scrutiny for all applications. The Higher Doctorate Panel includes the University’s Vice–Chancellor, and the examiners will be leading authorities in your field of study.

The University of Sunderland awards four Higher Doctorates:

Doctor of Letters (DLitt)
Doctor of Science (DSc)
Doctor of Technology (DTech)
Doctor of Laws (LLD)

Higher Doctorates are rarely awarded and they are elite qualifications that will mark you out as an outstanding contributor to your field.

Why us?

  • We're ranked 2nd in the UK for students’ overall satisfaction with their research degree programme according to the Postgraduate Research Experience Survey 2018
  • Higher Doctorates are awarded for research outputs of exceptional distinction
  • You have the option to study this programme at our Sunderland campus or via distance learning

Tuition fees

UK fees
Course fees for UK students

For this course (per year)


International fees
Course fees for EU and international students

For this course (per year)


Entry requirements

Applicants will typically be full-time members of the research staff of the University, or Visiting Professors, with at least three years of service. Applicants can also be people from outside the University who are leading authorities in their field. In this case, you should have a sponsor who is a professor on the full-time teaching staff of the University of Sunderland. You should have completed a Masters degree at least four years ago, or an honours degree at least seven years ago.