menu icon

Key information

Qualification type

MA - Master of Arts

Subject areas

Art Therapy Psychotherapy

Course type


Course Summary

The MA Art Psychotherapy course at the University of South Wales provides you with the fundamental training and skills to become a qualified Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) Art Psychotherapist. You may be a graduate or already working in a related area and looking to qualify professionally and work in art therapy. On the MA Art Psychotherapy course, you will benefit from training alongside trainee Music Therapists as well as participating in experiential and supervision groups. In addition, you will go out on placement in supervised and University-approved placement settings in the second and third years, and a pre-clinical experience placement in the first year. You are eligible to apply for professional UK HCPC (Health and Care Professions Council) registration on successful completion of the Masters course.

Graduates of this MA Art Psychotherapy course can go on to private practice after two years full-time/four years part-time supervised practice, or into employment in settings including NHS psychiatric and other hospitals, Social Services departments, education settings including special education, the criminal justice system, the voluntary sector and community projects. Students could also choose further study towards a professional research degree, or career routes in higher education teaching and clinical supervision.

Different course options

Study mode

Part time


3 years

Start date



Theory and Practice of Art Psychotherapy
Art Psychotherapy Skills 1
Therapeutic Approaches and Evidence Based Practice
Art Psychotherapy Skills 2
Art Psychotherapy Research and Practice

Tuition fees

UK fees
Course fees for UK / EU students

Part-time Fee: £1445 per 20 credits

Average for all Postgrad courses (per year)


International fees
Course fees for non-UK / EU students

To be confirmed

Average for all Postgrad courses (per year)


Entry requirements

Students need to have an undergraduate degree or an equivalent professional qualification or extensive experience in a related field.