menu icon

Key information

Qualification type

MPhil - Master of Philosophy

Subject areas


Course type


Course Summary

The Department of Archaeology at York is recognised worldwide as a vibrant research community and a centre of excellent teaching. The department has core strengths in prehistoric, medieval, and later historical archaeology. We are also a centre of excellence in computing and bioarchaeology, and we have a strong international reputation in the fields of cultural heritage, architectural conservation, and landscape research. The MPhil may suit you if you can't commit to the longer PhD course. It puts less emphasis on developing original knowledge, but still promotes skills in research, writing, analysis and critical thinking. Most research students enrol on an MPhil course and transfer to a PhD at the end of their second year. However, the MPhil is a qualification in its own right. Archaeology at York presents a model for the integration of science and the humanities. Our research strengths reflect our ambitions to pioneer research into the natural and built environment, its management & sustainability; to be a centre of excellence for the interpretation and management of cultural heritage around the world; to develop new digital methods to make archaeological data sustainable and accessible and to effectively integrate the latest bioscience technologies across the humanities.

Different course options

Full time | University of York | 2 years | OCT-19

Study mode

Full time


2 years

Start date


Tuition fees

UK fees
Course fees for UK / EU students

For this course (per year)


Average for all Postgrad courses (per year)


International fees
Course fees for non-UK / EU students

For this course (per year)


Average for all Postgrad courses (per year)


Entry requirements

Applicants typically need at least the equivalent to a UK upper second-class (2:1) honours degree and, in some cases, a Masters degree.